Old 20-05-2003, 05:20 PM
paghat

Default Prune PJM Rhodo

In article , Shrek
wrote:

Hi,
My PJM Rhodos. just finished up their lovely display of spring bloosoms.
Question is, what kind of pruning should I do to promote new growth and next
spring bloosoms.

TIA

You don't have to do any pruning at all to get it to reset buds for next
year, but if you need to shape it or restrict it in size, nows the time,
before it sets buds on spots you might trim off. PJMs tend to grow rather
evenly, & should by right now, with blooms faded, you should see lots of
new leaves that'll be paler green for a bit, over the whole shrub making
it at the very least a new leaves-length taller & wider.

PJM flowers tend to fall off more easily & on their own rather than
adhering untidily to the shrub (but this depends partly on degree of
moisture amidst the blooms themselves). So they don't actually require
even the blooms pinched back. But if you want to encourage leafier growth
on one side or the other to induce a certain shape or fill-in of a weak
side, pinching off the spidery remaining bits of the flowers will cause a
branching & fuller leafing at the point of the pinched bud.

Feeding is another control method to get effects you're after. A
low-nitrogen fertilizer tends to support bud growth; higher nitrogen
feeding may induce a rush of new growth at expense of the intensity of
flowering.

But in the main, one of the cool features of PJMs is they really take care
of themselves. Unless their infant buds get burnt in a particularly harsh
summer, or frozen in a harsh winter, they're going to do their thing very
fully very reliably. They're also a great asset for the winter garden
because the evergreen leaves turn such a splendid deep mahagony.

Here's my "PJM Elite":
http://www.paghat.com/PJM.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"