Old 20-05-2003, 05:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default soaking seeds...positive results

"pelirojaroja" wrote:

How long did you soak? I will be trying it soon, myself, and would
appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

I'm thinking the larger and harder the seed the longer they should be
soaked. Anyone disagree--I know it is a generalization and their would
be exceptions.

My snappeas (one of the largest seeds i worked with) only soaked a
hour or so. I've had 100% germination on them in average time. The
interesting thing is several of them crested the dirt as seed, the
seed were three times what I planted, bloated like macadamia nuts
instead of the pea-sized seed I planted. Their size surprised but it
is apparently normal. Now I'm trying some snow peas, and I soaked the
seeds (which are a bit smaller than a pea) since last night, about 18
hours so far. They have doubled in size. I wonder if I had soaked my
Nasturtium and pumpkin seeds longer if I would have seen greater
absorbtion and kick started the seeds better.

My petunias may be finally showing up--either that or some other stray
seed.
Vanilla Marigolds aren't up at all--which is surprising. All other
types of marigold have been easy and quick to sprout. Unless I got
very confused and didn't plant any seed!?

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)