Old 20-05-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Early Report from the Tomato Patch

Pat Meadows writes:

Pat On 14 May 2003 17:25:02 -0700, (Lee Hall)
wrote

I think I should be on track for my average first ripe tomato date of
Jun 4 but the storm has probably lowered my early production
considerably. I hope some of you will post so I can see how your
tomato plants are growing. I will try to post again every month or
so. It has certainly been an interesting growing season so far.

Pat Our theoretical last killing frost date (Pennsylvania's
Pat Northern Tier, and in the mountains) is still two weeks into
Pat the future, so most of my tomato plants are still indoors -
Pat in 6" pots. They are being taken out to the front porch
Pat each day for sun and air, and brought in at night. They're
Pat growing way too fast though, and I may have to plant them
Pat out this week-end in WalloWaters.

I grow extra which I usually give away.

Then a couple of weeks before the frost free date I look
at a long range forecast and if all seems good, plant. Then
if they survive the two weeks, I go ahead and give away the
spares. So far no problems in the five years I have been
doing this.

Pat One of my Early Girls was planted out in a WalloWater two
Pat weeks ago, and another Early Girl was planted out in a
Pat WalloWater one week ago.

I used to use those, but then had a very rainy spring, and
had a lot of semi rotted plants. Decided it was not worth
the effort.

Pat It's been very cold here the last two weeks and very damp -
Pat really almost no sunshine. The Early Girls outdoors in
Pat their WalloWaters are beginning to get mold on the top of
Pat the soil (all that cold dampness, no sun). I'll have to
Pat remove the WalloWaters in the daytimes and put them back at
Pat night.

Sounds like a lot of work.

Pat My Red Robins (miniature tomatoes) in 6" pots are thriving,
Pat lots of blossoms.

Good luck.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.gardens.edible...)