Old 20-05-2003, 09:32 PM
James Bass

Default tomatoes-on-the-vine (what kind?)

Thank you very much for the intelligent & informative answer. I will
definitely look into those that you recommended.

James

"FarmerDill" wrote in message
tOur local grocery store (Wegman's) sells a type tomato called
"tomatoes-on-the-vine" there are 4-6 tomatoes on a vine (go figure) and

they
are about the size of a baseball or smaller. I really like these but I

don't
know what kind they truly are and I want to grow my own. Does anyone here
know ?

-thanks
James

These usually fit into a group loosely called cluster tomatoes, sort of an
overgrown cherry type. Most of these grown commercially are F1 hybrids
specifficaly bred for this purpose and are not generally available to the

small
grower. they are also usually impotrted. You might seach the web sites of

the
commercial seed producers such Syngenta, MontSanto etc to find a variety

touted
for that purpose. As a last resort you may try saving seeds from the
storebought toamtoes. About half of the F2 generation will be true and

with
todays hybrids being mostly crosses of inbred strains, you may not be able

tell the differnce in the other half. Totally tomatoes does offer several

home
garden varieties, among them Cluster Grande and Sweet Cluster