Old 20-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Owen Lowe

Default Concrete retaining wall

Hi all. I need some concrete structural advice...

I'm looking to pour (or have poured) a short retaining wall along the
rear property line. I live on an urban lot, in an old neighborhood. My
goal is to build & plant some privacy and screening features since the
existing 4' chainlink fencing provides little and my neighbor's garage
and its windows are about 3' from the prop line.

The plan is to install a short (18" x 36" to 48") raised bed with stone
for the face - above that level would be cedar slat fencing to provide
screening until the plantings mature. Problem is that the back of the
raised bed would require some sort of retaining structure. My idea is to
pour a short concrete wall the full width along the fence line. I'd like
it to be as narrow as possible so as not to take up space I'd rather
retain for our yard, but recocnize the need for strength to resist the
force of the dirt, plants and water.

Does the following sound about right: 8" base, 4" top and set below
ground level 6"? Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks, Owen

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____