Old 20-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Mack

Default Drip Watering Tomatoes

"Fat Freddy" wrote in message
t...
I rigged up a drip system for my tomatoes using 1GPH drip emitters, but
I'm not sure about the time or frequency to run the water. I read about
someone else in this area (Sacramento, CA) who used a drip system and
they had 4 -1GPH emitters on each plant and they ran it 3 hours every 5
days. That puts about 12 gallons of water on each plant each week.

My system has 1 emitter per plant and I have been running it every
other day for 2 hours. That puts about 6 gallons of water on each
plant.

I know tomatoes usually need between an inch and two inches of water a
week, but I don't know how to translate that to 1GPH drip emitters.

Can anyone give me some hints?

Here's link that might help:
http://www.digcorp.com/diy/inst_7.htm#anchor572083
I used this as a guideline when I installed mine. Seems to have worked just
fine in sandy Florida soil.
Mack
--
"Never Try to Teach a Pig to Sing. It's a Waste of Time and It Just Annoys
the Pig."