Old 20-05-2003, 10:44 PM
chelatna

Default bareroot question

saki wrote:

I'm a great believer in knowing what's going on with roots as much as one
can because the health of container roses can depend on it. This is the
area where roses continue to surprise me; mine are always outgrowing
their pots when I'm least prepared for it. When I don't have anything
bigger to put them in, I apply bonsai techniques and prune back a small
portion of the roots, adding fresh soil to the bottom of the pot and
pruning minimally on top to balance root loss, and water once replanted.

Hmmm. I hadn't really considered using bonsai techniques but it makes a
lot of sense. Would you recommend sealing the cut ends of the large
roots like I do the canes?

Thanks for the other suggestions and things to look for. This is all
really helpful. I'll post some pictures later when I have good plants
and flowers.
Kim