Old 20-05-2003, 11:32 PM
joe

Default DIY Skimmers - Questions?

Lisa wrote:

1. What about the swinging door thing? Do I need that? I think so
because it will still work with raised or lowered pond levels. Right?
Is that correct thinking on the door issue? If that's true, I guess
one would want to get a replacement part door thingy from a premade
skimmer manufacturer? Or - how would one create a proper door? Yet I
see some that have no flappy door?

I think the door is mostly so you can keep pond water out if you want to do
maintenance to the pump or plumbing in the skimmer.

2. Also, I'm interested in a smallish footprint for this thing. I
have an 1800 gph pondmaster mag pump. Is there any rule about
vault/container sizes per the power of the pump? Or is it fair game
for me in choosing the size of the container? I read here someone
used a plastic file cabinet box. It would be great if I could use
something similarly smallish.

The issue here will be proper flow. If the skimmer opening is too small, the
pump will not be getting adequate water supply. Too large and "skim" factor
is reduced. I know the commercial skimmers have gph rates that they are
rated for.

3. What happens if the water level drops below the spillway? My pump
would die. How do you prevent this? Does the flappy door idea
prevent this from happening cuz you can sink the lowest level of the
opening lower?

See answer to (2) above. Also, you want the bottom of the "spillway" to be
typically located so it is below the usual level of your pond. I use a float
valve in my skimmer box and have it adjusted so my pond level is always
consistent.

Hope that helps
Joe