Old 21-05-2003, 12:20 AM
bnd777

Default Trees: Acer Bloodgood or alternative?

As for 1metre high trees costing £120 in Berkshire !!!!!!!!!!someones trying
to rip you off
Try Hare Hatch Nurseries on the A4 at Twyford Berks ......superb selection
of all manner of trees and plants at sensible prices
An Acer Bloodgood would be around £10
A Robinia or Gleditzia £10 to £20

Also Oak Tree Nurseries in Maidens Green Bracknell
or theres a super nursery in Bagshot that sells everything

Even Wyevale branches should not be that much

B and Q Warehouse Stores can also be a good source as can be Do It all or
even Homebase you just have to check around and look for new good quality
stock

but I would suggest try Hare Hatch Nursery its brilliant

"K" wrote in message

"Justin Hughes" wrote in message
om...
: Hello,
:
: Looking to plant a focal point tree in our garden. Unfortunately the
: proposed position will be in full sun, south facing and be somewhat
: exposed (only 3ft fences across about 50ft of neighbours gardens on
: either side (north-south), and the wind can pick up.
:
: We fancy something with either all year round colour (preferably
: red/purple), or a good variation of colour across the seasons. We have
: been looking at Japanese Acers. I understand most are not sun lovers,
: but have read that Acer Bloodgood could be suitable. Any comments?
:
: I've had suggested American Redbud 'Cercis canadensis Forest Pansy', a
: tree I am not aware of at all. Any info would be great.
:
: Also a local nursery sells "Royal Purple" Smokebush, Cotinus Coggygria
: which have been pruned to be tree like. Anyone know how broad these
: might get, as they look a bit narrow to be a convincing "tree shape".
:
: If Acer Bloodgood would fit, can anyone suggest a cheap source. We
: would be looking for a plant initially at least 1m high. Locally
: (Berkshire) these seem to cost about £120-£160, a bit pricey!.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Justin

Acers, in general do not like exposed sites as they suffer as much from
windburn as anything, but I do not know about your specific choice.