Old 03-02-2003, 03:09 AM
CWilde

Default Comments on shade perennials

I have to replant mine every two or three years. They end up pushing their
crowns above the soil. If I don't dig and divide and replant they die out.
I've got about 6 types - definitely the ones I inherited from my mom are the
most hardy.

Carlotta

"animaux" wrote in message
I don't lose mine, they simply don't look all that well. Could be the
calciferous soils we have in that shade bed. It is very dry under a live

oak
with a trunk diameter of 5 feet. They estimate that tree to be 400 years

old,
though there's no true way of telling with live oaks based on trunk

diameter.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:01:40 -0500, Pat Brothers
wrote:

Tony Avent remarked in one of his lectures that he observed a native
heuchera growing in full sun on the side of a rock in the mountains. I
think this is the clue to heucheras - drainage. If they are happy
growing on a rock they must need excellent drainage. Certainly I lose
them to rot more than to anything else.

animaux wrote:

This house we bought has plenty of shade and sun! It's a very delicate
balancing act I must do. I find even some plants said to be full sun

are not
full sun in Texas heat. Plants which need shade, want morning sun.

Some want
none. I have not been able to get that balance together, yet.

Heuchera is a plant I can't keep looking good. Maybe if I went back to

the
species instead of the more burgundy foliage, newer varieties. Maybe

try Lady's
Mantle this year. 'Purple Palace' sits there begging to be transported

to the
north!

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:33:35 GMT, Pam wrote:

AFAIC, every shade plant is a must!! For some practical info, I have

found
that astrantias will bloom much more heavily and for a longer period if
placed in more sun - all of mine (9 varieties - I like these guys!) are
located in only partial shade, perhaps 4 hours of sun.

Since the planting you describe is pretty much entirely herbaceous
perennials, I'd consider adding something a little more evergreen to

provide
winter interest. Perhaps some Iris foetidissima, additional heucheras,

an
evergreen shade grass and some EG ferns and maybe a hellebore or two?

pam - gardengal

Suja wrote:

Before I actually order these plants and put them in the ground, I

need
a reality check from those who have actual experience with them. I am
putting in a shade bed in front of the house (North facing, with

morning
sun in the summer), and this is my short list of the plants I'm

planning
on getting. The soil is clay (but amended), zone 6b/7a, Northern VA.
If I have left out anything that is a MUST HAVE for a shade garden (no
hostas please, deer problem; much as I'd love to have Brunnera 'Jack
Frost', I can't afford it right now), please let me know.

Short
Epimedium Sulphureum
Heuchera 'Persian Carpet'
Dicentra Exima 'Snowdrift'