Old 21-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Odd ID

Sorry I don't have a picture. This was an accent plant at the recent Rochester
bonsai show. It originally came from Korea. It is a cluster of scaly bulbs,
which grow at ground level. They are about 2" across, almost like lily bulbs.
Each bulb produces one leaf, parallel veined, long heart shape with a point,
slightly wavy, with brownish spots all over the top surface. leaves are about
3" long, petiole maybe 3-4" long. Each bulb also produces a tall, almost a foot
high, stalk topped with a tight raceme of flowers, opening from the bottom. The
buds are white, but the flowers are green. flowers are maybe 1/4" across. From
the outside, they look like the more primitive orchids, with 3 half-open
sepals. but if you pry it open, there seem to be six petals alternating with
six stamens. There is a single ovary in the middle with one pistil. Sound like
anybody you know?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."