Old 21-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Steve Touchstone

Default Mowing wet grass?

On Tue, 20 May 2003 11:48:57 GMT, "Brigitte J."
wrote:

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
t.net...
For what it's worth:

The guy who does my father-in-law's lawn says that he won't mow IN the

rain,
but can't stop his schedule if the grass is wet.

-Tim

Here in Nebraska we are getting a lot of rain this year. It seems it always
rains on my day off. If there is a break in the rain for several hours and
it's my day off, I have no choice but mow my yard. If I have to wait for a
day off without rain my grass would be too long to cut. I do it out of
necessity.

Brigitte

Just my two cents worth, but I do landscaping for a living. I don't
like mowing wet grass. More maintenance on the equipment, takes more
bags if the customer wants the grass bagged, and just doesn't look as
good when done. Some times I just don't have a choice but to mow,
after all that's how I pay my bills and eemployees.

If you have to mow wet grass, though, there are a couple things you
can do to make it turn out better. Make sure you have a sharp blade. I
sharpen mine about once a week, normallly, but just about every mrning
I know I'll be cutting wet grass. Some home owners only sharpen their
mowers at the start of the season, but a dull blade just won't cut wet
stuff. I also raise the deck a little, and mow at a slower speed.

Like I said, it won't look as good when finished, but if you have to
mow wet stuff, try doing the above and I think you'll find it helps.
--
Steve Touchstone
email