Old 21-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Jason

Default Honda Harmony Drive Slippage

Hello Jeff,

(Honda Self-Propelled mower HRM215SDA - 1993/4)

Ok, here is what has happened since I last posted... I located the
place where the missing spring should be connected. The area is under
the mower deck and the spring in question is part of the
self-propelled mechanism. It took me a lot of looking to finally
figure out "what" was missing. I was thinking I was going to have to
take a look at a mower like mine and compare parts...but nope, I
finally located the area of the missing "spring." Funny thing, about
four days later I actually FOUND the broken spring on my garage floor!
Sure enough one of the spring's "hooked" ends was missing, it had
broken off.

I placed an order with "Plano Power Lawn Equipment" out of Plano, TX.
They have a pretty nice web-page with pictures of parts so that I was
able to make my selection on my own...pretty sure I got the right
part! The spring should be here tomorrow 5/21/03 UPS. Not sure how
difficult it will be to get the spring back where it belongs... its a
very tough spring, can hardly even bend it! (now I know why my
fingers are about to fall off after mowing!)

I also ordered the rear-side grass shute. I have been using a "loner"
from my grand father for years...thought it is time to get my very
own.

**I have noticed over the last couple of seasons that my Honda mower
has begun running rough at times, like something gets stuck. I've
found that when the mower kicks into "rough" running mode, if I take
the butt end of a screwdriver and tap the carburator float reservior,
it appears that the float becomes free and the engine starts to run
like a "honda" again... I must say that I haven't winterized my mower
probably as well as I should have over the last 10 years. I usually
just run the mower out of gas and then let it sit until spring. I
now, after a little research, understand the importance of stabilzing
the fuel that is left in the carburator...to resist varnishing... My
plan is to either clean or replace the float and give things a going
over in the float reservior to remedy the sticky float...

Other than that I really enjoy the Honda Harmony HRM215SDA (1993).
Its been a great experience and I just today took receipt of a new
HHT25S Honda Trimmer. Wow, is it nice... My wallet is a little
thinner now, but if it serves as well as the Honda mower, I'll be more
than a happy camper.

I'll update my progress on the self-propelled spring fix...let anyone
know who may be interested, how things went. By the way the spring
itself was only 98 cents, so I got two. The shipping was about 5
bucks...

Happy Mowing

Jason
Traverse City, MI