Old 21-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Poe Lim

Default New tank setup

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
Some generic feedback:

1. More plants sooner always beats the alternatives.

I was going to put in the fast growers first, then take out the excess and
put in the slow gorwers such as the anubias and crypts when I can get things
stable. In my hands, the corkscrew vals grow like weeds...

2. There is no reason to delay CO2. The sooner you start it (day 1 is

best) the
sooner plants get a start on strong, fast growth.

Couldn't get the CO2 in until the second week, hence the delay. Am thinking
of connecting a powerhead to the CO2 reactor (it's a Dupla Delta S kit) so
that the CO2 gets dissolve more with lights on, and just leak out with light
off; has anyone done this, and if so, how was your pH?

3. Read up on nutrients. With light and CO2, plants will soon exhaust what

is in
your water.

I thought the idea was to exhaust nutrients so that algae gets outcompeted?
Can't remember the article now, but the idea was to starve the tank; whereas
higher planst can store nutrients, algae can't, so die off first.

My main concern is substrate fertilisers; I know the Duplarit G, and perhaps
Flourite, is a source initially of nutrients, but unless I invest in
substrate heating (if you believe Dupla), that goes after a while, which
means back to tabs/sticks etc, which kinds of defeat the point of having
Duplarit or Flourite.

--
Cheers,
Poe

to send email, add "email" to the end of oz