Old 21-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Charles \Stretch\ Ledford

Default Plant from Bulbs

In article ,
"Penny Morgan" wrote:

I'm replying to both your posts. First, about the daffodil and iris plants.
It is very normal for them to start to fall over and look messy after they
have finished their blooming. You should wait for the stalks to at least
turn brown half way down or all the way if possible. The bulbs are now
drawing energy from the leafy part of the plant to store for next years
bloom season. If you're concerned about the messy look, you can throw a
light mulch over them to cover them or just wait for them to die back. As
far as how deeply to plant the bulbs, they seemed to bloom o.k. for you this
past season. Typically, they are planted about 4-6" deep.

Now, onto the Holly Tone Fertilizer. Holly Tone is a slow acting, organic
way to feed acid loving plants. Applying too much should not damage your
bushes. I don't measure it when applying to my gardenias and hollies. I
just throw handfuls under the bushes and have never had a problem. If it
were a fast acting food, i.e. (10-10-10), then I would scrape it off. You
should be fine. Good luck.

Thanks, Penny!