Old 21-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Koi and Water lilies

Did your fish spawn, by any chance? If they did, their rough-housing could
have broken the stems. But to answer your question, YES! koi will tear up a
waterlily. Mine didn't bother the big varieties, but the smaller, more
delicate lilies were great fun! Also, water hyacinth roots are a great
treat . . . if yours are doing poorly, check out the root system. If it
doesn't have roots 4-6" or longer, they're getting munched. I liberated some
WH earlier this year, and have to rotate them from waterfall/stream area, to
the pond (munchies), to a tank in the back yard to recouperate and start
growing again, back to the waterfall/stream area for extra nutrients and a
growth spurt, back to the pond for munchies, ad infinitum.

Just a thought!
Lee

"Pickmaster" wrote in message
Do Koi sometimes feed on water lilies? I found all the leaves stripped

from
about 4 plants and am pretty supicious it 6 foot long Koi--the pond is

large
and there are plenty for them to eat, but the leaves are suddenly just
floating around the pond--