Old 21-05-2003, 03:44 PM
diane

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"BAC" wrote in message ...
"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Tumbleweed

wrote:

: You miss the point, 'organic' plants are also full of insecticides and
: fungicides, naturally evolved to be super efficient at such stuff as
: mimicking animal hormones, (see the recent news on soy milk, killing

insects
: etc.
: When a random sample of around 50 of these chemicals was tested to the

same
: standards as man-made pesticides, 50% of them were found to be toxic, in
: fact *much more* toxic than would be allowed for man-made chemicals.

Thus
: the man made pesticides about which you complain are less toxic than

half
: these naturally ocurring chemicals. You complain about 'junk' when you

refer
: to man-made chemicals that have undergone rigorous testing, yet you eat
: plants full of hundreds of untested, probably more dangerous chemicals,

with
: no worries.

It makes reasonable sense:

Our digestive tract has evolved to cope with natural toxins.

In which case we probably don't regard the food source as toxic at all. Or
not - in which case the toxins remain toxic to humans, and we presumably
have learned to avoid ingestion, or to process the food so as to reduce the
toxicity to levels we consider acceptable. Similar to how we might deal with
foods we know to have been treated with 'artificial' toxins, really.

I am looking for a weed killer that will not be harmful to my dog