Old 21-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Oz

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler writes

Our taste buds do their best to warn us about many plant toxins.

Unfortunately not always, with fatal results.
Try the strychnine tree for example.

The plants are happy to cooperate in making themselves taste pungent.

Whether toxic or not, this can be a useful strategy, sometimes.

By contrast, the artificial toxins have been designed to be tasteless and
invisible to consumers.

One thing I am certain about, and that is that smell and taste features
absolutely nowhere in anyone's selection procedure for pesticides. The
infinitesimal residues (if any) left by the time you eat it are only
detectable (if at all) by hugely sophisticated analytical equipment.

Just to give you some idea I have visited a site where they could test
at these levels. They had three areas, with separate doors to the
outside and staff from each area were not allowed to touch each other
until their shift had finished. This was because if one of the 'low
level detection' area walked through the 'high level' area (where the
test applications were made) then they would totally trash the analysis
just from particles they picked up walking through.

As any farmer would tell you, many sprays smell 'rather strongly'.

So you are quite incorrect.

Strawberries are one of the most pesticide-infected types of produce.
They don't have natural toxins in.

I very much doubt that. When I grew them nothing much but the odd slug
ate them, which is always a giveaway.

They are "designed" to be eaten by
mammals like us.

The fruits maybe. That doesn't mean they aren't toxic. I expect there is
a fair bit of oxalic acid in them just the same.

The fungicides sprayed on strawberries are toxic to
animals like us.

Fungicides are toxic to fungi.
That's why they are called fungicides.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/PCW/DS.jsp?sk='1016'
lists the crap sprayed on strawberries. There can be no contest here.

Maybe, you haven't quoted any of them.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.