Old 21-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma

Ian wrote:

It is only about 2 feet, maybe getting on 3 feet, in size.

Do I just cut back the branches, or do I want to cut the stocks (trunk,
whatever it is called)

How about if I cut back as this pic shows:

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/bbush1-1.jpg

or cut back everything except the stocks that show new growth?

They tend to get ratty looking if not cut back at least every other year.
You get lots of tangled, oversized branches, which snap easily. Hard
pruning replaces the giant rat's nest with a more pleasing fountainlike
structure.