Old 21-05-2003, 06:08 PM
The Cook

Default Drip Watering Tomatoes

Fat Freddy wrote:

I rigged up a drip system for my tomatoes using 1GPH drip emitters, but
I'm not sure about the time or frequency to run the water. I read about
someone else in this area (Sacramento, CA) who used a drip system and
they had 4 -1GPH emitters on each plant and they ran it 3 hours every 5
days. That puts about 12 gallons of water on each plant each week.

My system has 1 emitter per plant and I have been running it every
other day for 2 hours. That puts about 6 gallons of water on each
plant.

I know tomatoes usually need between an inch and two inches of water a
week, but I don't know how to translate that to 1GPH drip emitters.

Can anyone give me some hints?

I always wonder, doesn't it rain out there or you growing them in a
greenhouse? In a reasonably normal year here on the east coast I
rarely water the tomatoes. Stick a finger in the dirt about 3" and if
it is moist, I do not water.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.