Old 21-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Pics (including Double Delight)

Shiva wrote:

This is really interesting. As you probably know, "conventional
wisdom" (whatever that is) has it that roses hate to share space with
any plants, or at least hate to compete for nutrients. If phlox are
okay growing right on top of the little white feeder roots of the rose
(and they are growing on them if they go under the drip line) then my
roses are in no danger if I don't weed for a while, I guess.

My roses have a choice - weeds or companion plants. Well, maybe not. I
certainly prefer the look of the companion plants to weeds. *grin*

I love what I have seen called "sweet alyssum." I would love to grow
it under my roses!

I started white sweet alyssum in most of my beds. All of the plants
were started from seed and have self-seeded since then. Personally, I
find the cost of sweet alyssum bedding plants to be ridiculous
considering how easy it was to get it established form seed. Besides
that, the cost of filling the bed with bedding plants would have been
ridiculous.

The only two beds who do not have alyssum in them are the lily bed and
the vegetable bed. The lily bed will soon have some in it also as I can
still see large (to my eye) patches of dirt between the plants. *grin*
I'm just waiting for my orienpet order ot come in before I seed the
alyssum.

We have similar tastes in non-rose plants. I love grape hyacinths,
too.

Aren't they fabulous?!

I find it interesting that she wants to tell you what to do with your
garden! I like the look.

She is very opinionated but in a non-pushy way so I simply ignore it if
it doesn't agree with me. No hard feelings either. The s.o. is of the
opinion that it's our yard so we(I) can do with it as we(I) want so I
have total support from that side of things.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu