Old 21-05-2003, 07:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Explanation of 'F1 hybrids' and 'coming true' required!

F1 hybrids are pollinated manually under very strict conditions so that
there is no chance of cross over of pollen from another type of that plant.
That is why they are so expensive. When they are grown in your garden or
allotment and they set seed, they are unlikely to come true i.e. have the
same qualities as the original, if sown, because they will probably have
cross pollinated with surrounding plants

Robert
"Newbie Gardener" wrote in message
: I keep hearing these terms mentioned and I would really appreciate an
: explanation.
:
: Thankyou very much to anyone willing to educate me in this matter!
: Lorraine