Old 21-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Bonsai partnership

Bonsai aren't pets. Plants reciprocate no warm and fuzzy
feelings like a dog will (or a cat -- sometimes -- while you are
petting it. There's absolutely no point in getting emotionally
involved with a tree in a pot. There are always more where that
one came from.

Enjoy them, by all means, but as "things" not as "family."

David Thoreau - Walden

Good thought, Marty. I agree. I have also noticed that my

colleagues who trade and
sell bonsai tend to have the best bonsai. They invest a lot of

energy and time into
the tree but don't feel compelled to hang on to them like I do.

Their collections
usually look better than mine, and they learn more. There's a

lesson in there, if
I'd only use it. ;-)
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
=================================
Marty Haber wrote:
Lisa,
I appreciate your feelings, but would offer some consolation.

To me,
bonsai is a process: not an end in itself. The pleasure of

working with
trees, increasing their beauty as you work, is the real reward

in bonsai.
It's the process, not the result that counts. If you think of

it in these
terms, you will never look back with regret upon the hours,

months and years
spent with bonsai.
Marty