Old 21-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Eileen Gregory

Default Raised bed question

Not a comment on raised beds, but if you go that route you may consider 2
beds. Blueberries and strawberries like soil to be somewhat acidic, and
asparagus likes soil to be somewhat basicor alkaline. I don't think they
would do well in the same bed. Don't know what soil raspberries or rhubarb
would like.
Good luck,
Eileen

WCD wrote:

I'm going to be planting a garden of perennial things like raspberries,
blueberries, strawberries, rhubard, asparagus, etc. in central Maine.
I'm considering whether to use raised beds edged with granite or just
plant in the ground.

Are there big advantages to be had planting these materials in raised
beds? It's more trouble and expense to install initially and a bit of a
hassle to cultivate, since I already own a tiller for use behind my
garden tractor, but if the long-term advantages still outweigh the
disadvantages, I'm willing to to go for it.

Any suggestions?