Old 21-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Bonsai partnership

Well, Andy . . . I don't subscribe to BT Online and haven't read
the article/essay. I wasn't, in fact, commenting on anything you
wrote, but only on the warm and fuzzy tinge some of the message
in this thread seemed to be taking on. Bonsai don't "care" who
owns them, or even if they're owned. And, while I'll give people
trees every so often, cheapskate that I am, I hate like heck to
give away the pots! ;-)

In any event, I prefer not to imbue bonsai with too much
"deepness" or "significance." It is enough, I think, to enjoy
working with the trees and letting them be a means of relaxation
and perhaps, occasionally, creation (but that may be getting too
significant).

David Thoreau - Walden

Hi Jim,

This (bonsai as "pets" or "family") was not the thrust of

either the
comments here or of my comments in the essay. The fact is that

the artist
and the tree have a partnership that necessitates cooperation

in ways not
found in most (any?) other art(s). Selling or giving away

something that is
unfinished, with the balance of "our" plans being unrealized is

a bit
different than selling/giving away a work of art/possession

that does not
carry this kind of baggage. This is not to say that doing so

involves an
overabundance of drama, but it is often a bit more difficult.

Anyway, let's not mischaracterize the gist here.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas
http://www.bunjindesign.com/bonsai/