Old 21-05-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Please Help Me With My Orchid, Thanks!

I have a Phalaenopsis orchid. I got it as a gift a couple years ago.
It had flowers when I got it. Once the flowers were gone, they have
not come back again. The leaves are still large and full and green
and solid but no sign of any growth anywhere else. It is in the same
pot it came in (probably not the ideal pot for growing but something
cheap the store used, I can see all the roots inside the pot). I was
watering it once a week with luke warm water. I have Schultz 19-31-17
plant food and it's directions are to use 1/4 tsp. every time I water
or use more food if feeding less often. The plant is hanging from my
ceiling by the window. The room is bright with light but it passes
through a thin drape sort of like material for a wedding veil, so
there is a lot of light but not direct burning light from the sun. I
keep the house during the winter at 70 degrees centigrate during the
winter and it is currently at that temperature but will rise soon
because of the summer to 80 + I do have a basement that stays cooler
if I need to bring it down there at night. I have never moved the
plant to cooler temperatures in the evening and then back to warmer
temperatures at night. This orchid is supposed to be easy to care
for. How can I get this plant to bloom? Please help in simple and
easy to understand step by step instructions. I am not a green thumb
but I want this beautiful thing to bloom again so I am willing to do
some work. Thanks for your help.