Old 21-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Mary Fisher

Default nasty magpie?

Two or three months ago, I saw
from my window 24 magpies having a meeting - and this was before the
start of the breeding season! A few years ago, if you saw a party of
four, it was remarkable, as the famous little ditty proves.

What's a few years?

I used to say the ditty to our children in their pushchairs and we'd run out
of lines (as I remember eight - no seven - was the highest number in the
rhyme), so we'd see far more than four magpies.

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Those children are in their forties now ...

Actually I love watching magpies. They are most handsome and
intelligent. They appear to be good parents. Their nest-building is
something to behold - I have one just outside my (second floor) living
room window. But they are also very aggressive and predatory birds.

I agree with all of that, but we're putting human values on their activities
.... All birds are aggressive when caring for young, aren't they?

Mary