Old 21-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Nedra

Default this morning:

Oh heck... gallons is what I meant But didn't say!
Thanks again...

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
The one I'm talking about works in gallons, not just "time". That way, you
can specifiy "300 gals." for a water change, and 300 gals. is all that

will
come out/go in. Very handy. "Time" depends on water pressure, etc. and is
not quite as dependable.

Lee

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
Lee, Thanks for the suggestion and how to use it! Never had
a clue how water timers actually work..... groan

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Two suggestions: My kitchen timer has a cord on it (like shower soap!)

that
I slip around my neck any time I leave the pond during a refill.
Alternatively - and I have one! - you can go to HD to the same place

they
sell the water hoses, etc. There is a water meter that you can buy for

about
$20 or so that fits on the end of your water hose, or between the hose

and
the spigot. You dial in the amount of water you want to pump in, add

your
de-chlor to the pond and walk away. The meter will shut the water

down.
It
can also be used in reverse for folks who walk away when they're

pumping
out
for water changes, get distracted and come back to flopping fish in no
water. The meter is designed for landscaping needs, which is why it's

cheap.
If the mfg. found out people could use if for ponding, it would cost

4X
as
much G!

Lee

"mad" wrote in message
i went out this morning to drink a cup of tea and watch the sun come

up
over
the mountains and noticed that the water level was a bit low on my

pond.
so
i turned on the water and was letting the pond fill slowly. i

finished
my
tea and went in the house. i booted up the old computer and

downloaded
bunch of stuff. i decided to go back in the kitchen for another cup,

and
happened to look out the back door. the pond was full. i tore open

the
back
door and leaned down and turned off the water, which i had failed to

do
10
minutes earlier and thought i had. i caught it just before it went

over
the
edge. whew! my 7 goldfish were swimming in the area near the lowest

edge
where the water would have gone over.
this comes of having a vehicle that turns off the lights

automatically
if
forget to do it manually. i now expect the waterhose to do that,

too.
sheesh.
mad
--