Old 21-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Miriam

Default Clematis eater

"Kostas Kavoussanakis" wrote in
message
.np.hx...

I planted a clematis in March while it was dormant. When

doing so, the
(thin anyway) old growth broke off. I saw some growth

about a month
ago, but the biggest of the emerging stems got stuck at

5cm. I
tried to examine it and I realised that it was munched off

just under
the soil surface. The same thing happened to another 3 of

them, that
did not even make it to 5cm.

When I planted the clematis, I sprinkled some slug

repellent (the bio
one, that just deters them from crawling to the target)

and topped it
up again another couple of times since then. The brick I

am using to
provide some shade to the roots has been home to 5 slugs

in the past
(but I am not checking it all that regularly). Any idea

what's eating
the clematis?

Thanks in advance,
Kostas

Clematis is one thing I have nevr previously been able to
grow. I thought
the plants suffered from Clematis wilt. Then a clematis
breeder told me
to use slug pellets . The main problem plant was E Pennel.
which was OK
to a certain extent afterwards although a bit weak. However
having seen a
person with \ roof garden who groiws everything in pots I
decided to leave
the new plants in large pots with slug pellets result large
success:-)

..