Old 21-05-2003, 11:56 PM
David Hare-Scott

Default hay mulch

"Simon Stenkle" wrote in message
i was wondering if anyone uses hay as mulch in their vegetable garden?

will
it increase the weed problem if it has gone to seed?

thanks
simon

I have used hay and have had no problems with it. I think that this
would depend on the source of your hay, specifically if it was cut with
many viable seeds included, it seems that mine was not.

Is there any dust in the bottom of the containers/heaps where it is
stored? Any seeds visible there? You could start out on a small area
and inspect closely after a couple of weeks, if it is warm and you have
kept the veges moist and nothing much has germinated by then you should
be OK

David