Old 22-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Tish Silberbauer

Default Using Kitty Litter in the Garden

On 21 May 2003 01:46:59 -0700, (Robyn) wrote:

I have a very old cat who goes through mountains of kitty litter. I
use the bio-degradeable kind, and go through about 5kgs a week at
least, but by the time it gets to the compost bin, it is soaked in ,
well, you know what kitty litter gets soaked in. Whats more, there is
so much of it that it is 90% of what goes i the compost bin.
Can someone tell me if I can use this in large quantites in my garden,
or should I just put it in the bin and only keep a small percentage
for the garden.
Robyn.

We have the same issue. We use the pelletized paper kitty litter. We
flush the solid waste down the loo and put the remainder in the
compost, where it eventually breaks down into lovely compost (our
compost pile is not hot enough and everything seems to take forever to
break down). We also find that flushing the solid waste each day (or
twice a day sometimes) makes the rest of the litter last much longer.

Tish