Old 22-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Shepherd

Default fake snake to scare away birds?

"Doctoroe" wrote in message
m...
We saw a fairly realistic looking rubber snake the other day and
wondered if it were placed in a high visibility spot would it keep the
birdies from feasting on our just now ripening strawberries?
Anyone tried this? Kinda snake version of a scarecrow....

It wont work!

I feed my dog outdoors and the birds get more of her food than she does. I
bought a rubber snake thinking the sight on it might chase the birds away.
It DELAYED them for about five minutes the first day. After that, even when
I placed the snake in my dog's food dish, the birds went back to feeding on
dog food.

I understand there is an owl designed for scaring off birds. The ad for the
owl states the head of the owl moves up and down in the wind, and that
movement is what makes the birds think the owl is real and stay away.

The owl costs, I think, around thirty dollars which is much more than I want
to pay for a maybe toy.

My dog now gets fed after dark when all the birds have roosted for the
night, and I cover what's left in her bowl to keep the squirrels and other
things from filling up on dog food.

Shepherd