Old 22-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Dave Fouchey

Default fake snake to scare away birds?

On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:10:34 -0400, montana
wrote:

In article
,
"Shepherd" wrote:

It wont work!

I feed my dog outdoors and the birds get more of her food than she does. I
bought a rubber snake thinking the sight on it might chase the birds away.
It DELAYED them for about five minutes the first day. After that, even when
I placed the snake in my dog's food dish, the birds went back to feeding on
dog food.

Ditto my experience.

I understand there is an owl designed for scaring off birds. The ad for the
owl states the head of the owl moves up and down in the wind, and that
movement is what makes the birds think the owl is real and stay away.

snip

My former neighbor had one and it didn't work.

The OP is better off (IMO) covering the berries. I used cloth that is
designed for baby grass; it allows moisture & sunlight through but it
keeps critters out.

I was going to try some floating row cover myself to see if I could
save some of the raspberries...

Dave
Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey