Old 22-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Valkyrie

Default fake snake to scare away birds?

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 May 2003 17:21:12 -0700, Doctoroe wrote:

We saw a fairly realistic looking rubber snake the other day and

wondered
if it were placed in a high visibility spot would it keep the birdies

from
feasting on our just now ripening strawberries? Anyone tried this?

Kinda
snake version of a scarecrow....

I have found that the snakes don't work well. I have use flash tape though
with great success. Flash tape is about the size/shape of a roll of
masking tape but is made of mylar ( excuse the spelling ). It's silver on

one
side and red on the other. String the flash tape over the strawberry bed,
with a few twists in the line and tie it to something. The birds think
it's fire (so I'm told) and other wize stay away. I have done this for a
customer with an r.v that is parked under a power line. We strung the tape
over the top of the camper and sure enough the pigions moved down the line
not wanting to have the flash tape under them. I'm going to experiment
with AoL cds and hang them on an apple tree that get's picked on by crows
and jays. We'll have to see if it works. Hopefully I can find a use for
all these aol cds I get.
Good luck keeping your berries safe...........

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

The CDs work great in fruit trees. Glue them together so the shiny sides are
out. I taped fishing line on the label side, glued the two CDs together and
then hung them in the trees. Different levels, not just along the bottom. I
did this for my girlfriend last year who hadn't had a cherry to harvest for
years. You need quite a few, I think we put about eight or so in each tree,
they spin and flash with the least amount of breeze. I have a boxful of AOL
and whoever else sends those freebie CDs through the mail, I'm going to make
another batch for a friend who looses his apricots and plums every year.

Val