Old 22-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Nedra

Default Koi and Water lilies

In this same thread are my experiences with Koi that play with
and subsequently destroy lilies. When I had expensive lilies the
koi took great delight in uprooting them and dragging them all over the
pond.
I have two survivor lilies left ... my koi still uproot in them but don't
seem to haul them all over the place. After spawning I notice bits
of lily leaves all over the pond. They are little stinkers. No turtles,
I would know because I can see the bottom of the pond.

Nedra

"adavisus" wrote in message
om...
Koi a foot long in a big pond with ample foliage are very unlikely to
damage lilypads in any numbers, they do little more than suck snail
spawn of plants as tough as those.

Far more likely theres a turtle that wandered in that has taken a
shine to munching on water lily stems and the snails that amble along
them. Check the stems that were severed, look for a distinctive 'v'
shape bite of a turtles guillotine like mouth, if you see those angled
bite marks, it sure isnt koi

http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps

"Pickmaster" wrote in message

I guess I better watch my wording on here, or I'm going to start a

panic--I
think there's 6 of them, I started out with 8 a year ago and they were

about
2 inches--the water is murky so I didn't see them for 6 months and was
really surprised at the growth to a foot.