Old 22-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Five Cats

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In article , Jim Webster
writes

wrote in message
In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Tumbleweed
wrote:
It makes reasonable sense:

Our digestive tract has evolved to cope with natural toxins.

no, our digestive tracts have evolved to cope with SOME natural toxins.
Also the plants and their toxins are still evolving

Er, surely a toxin is only a toxin if our digestion can't cope with it
and it poisons us. Anything we can successfully digest and either
metabolise or excrete is, almost by definition, not a toxin.

in which case Glyphosphate, the start of this thread, is not a toxin.

I think we have to be careful just how we bandy such words about. If I
remember correctly, asprin is poison for cats, if so, then Asprin is a
toxin.

And penicillin kills guinea pigs....

Trouble is we are all sloppy and casual and neglect to put in the full
details. Perhaps if we say plants produce an array of substances, many of
them toxic in varying degrees to many species.
But the obvious thing to do is eat more meat. Once it's been killed most of
your problems with regard to its defence mechanisms are over :-))

--
Five Cats