Old 22-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Oz

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

writes
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

1) Many toxins are highly biodegradeable. Cyanide, for example is broken
down in a few tens of seconds. Pity you get to die first.

2) Many toxins get broken down by the gut, you just have to worry about
the bit that you get to absorb before it's broken down.

3) Many toxins get excreted, often damaging the kidneys and causing
kidney failure (some mushroom toxins being the best known).

In fact I can't, offhand, think of any toxins apart from heavy metals
(which are excreted, but slowly) that don't fall into one, some or all
of the groups above. A moment's thought, and you would have realised the
same.

None of which really affects what I said.

Apart from illustrating biodegradeable, excretable and digestible
toxins, no.

A toxin is something toxic which poisons us. If it doesn't poison us
(i.e. is successfully managed by our digestion) then it's not a toxin.

That's something else. That is 'detoxifies'.

Some things which are toxins to some animals are not toxins for other
animals for just this reason.

Indeed, for a variety of reasons.

Mind you - don't forget the dose.
Very few things are completely non-toxic - not even water.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.