Old 22-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Ian

Default Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma

It was sprouting only at the very bottom on some large stocks, nothing
coming out anywhere on the vertical stocks, and all the branches were very
brittle.

So, I cut it back almost to the ground, leaving just the stocks that had
sprouts.

I only wish I could remember what I did last year. Did I just cut off the
branches, or did I cut it back to the ground? Whatever I did last year
resulted in a beautiful bush come July.

We'll soon see ...

"Ann" wrote in message
"Ian" expounded:

It is only about 2 feet, maybe getting on 3 feet, in size.

Do I just cut back the branches, or do I want to cut the stocks (trunk,
whatever it is called)

Don't cut anything until you see where it's going to resprout. Then,
cut just above those points. They are slow to sprout, be patient.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA