Old 22-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Rachel Sullivan

Default Chelsea

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

I haven't been, but have had to tolerate the dreadful BBC coverage yet
again, but last night decided enough was enough. Why, oh, why do we
have to have so much irrelevant "chat." It is the Alan and Diarmud
comedy show, with the awful LL Bowen thrown in earlier. DG is as
dreadful as ever. People who cannot get to the show want to SEE a lot
of plants. I don't want all the drivel we are getting at the moment.
Last night I so hoped that Roy Lancaster would be given more time.
Paper and pen were poised to write down all the new plants I wanted
and managed one, Paris Japonica.

That's *exactly* what my Ma said last night. Too much talk about what
*they* had seen - and not enough showing the plants so we could see them
as well. What is the matter with these people?

A friend of ours has been judging at Chelsea. He said the crowds were
vast, so much that you can't get near the show gardens - or much else
come to that. Perhaps the RHS are just getting too greedy. It's 25
years or so since I saw Chelsea (when Beth Chatto was still displaying)
and it was busy then, but I don't think I'd want to go now, especially
at the prices they charge. For that sort of money I'd want to be able
to see!

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site