Old 22-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Sorry...more algae

I have a large airstone hook-up I keep running all the time (too many
fish/too little water!). Extra air is essential, especially at night when
the plants (algae, too!) start to *consume* oxygen, instead of producing it.
Also, warm water holds less O2 than cooler water does. So, in answer to
your question, I maintained additional O2 with the airstone (besides, the
fish like to swim through the bubbles!), skimmed the "islands" off when I
could, and ensured that the "prefilters" in my skimmer box were cleaned 2X a
day until it went away. My "prefilters" consist of bags of net mesh in one,
and nylon window screen in the other. They clean easily with a water hose,
and really catch a lot of the mess before it gets to the primary filters (I
guess you can call it a "pre-mechanical filter!) If you don't have such a
set up, clean your filters more often: the algae really gunks things up.

Where are you located?

Lee

"Szpond" wrote in message
Does it look like this? Go to the Mystery Algae "book

Lee,
That is exactly what it looks like. Same as you had, the warmer it gets,

the
more that rises to the top. When it is cool (at night), it all drops to

the
bottom. Has been a little over 2 weeks now, darn 4 more weeks of it.
Terrible. Don't even know how the fish can breathe when it is all rising

the surface. Did you do anything, or let it ride it's course? Thanks,

Cathy