Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Ian

Default Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma

Well, I did cut my butterfly bush back all the way. Let's see what the
outcome is.

Post-Hacking pic:

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/bbushcut1.jpg

"Ian" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I also have questions concerning my butterfly bush. I have the 'davidii"
variety, and decided not to cut it back at all thinking that it would
continue where it left off (never said I was any good at this!)

Okay, I am in the Toronto area, approx. a zone 5B according to USDA and
Canadian maps.

The bush was planted going on 3 years, and last year, after cutting it

back,
it grew splendidly, resulting in a bush approx. 3 feet in diameter.

Guess I decided to get greedy this year, and hoped it would grow from 3

feet
to what it could possibly do.

So, I haven't cut it back.

And now I am not sure it is going to grow correctly. Most of my garden is
well into coming back to life, except for the butterfly bush.

I have some pics someone can look at (caution, hi res, approx. 500k each
pic)

Picture 1 shows how I left the bush. I haven't trimmed it at all.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/bbush1.jpg

Picture 2 is about the same, but if you look at the lower left main branch
of the bush, you can just make out new growth beginning on the main stock.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/bbush2.jpg

Picture 3 is a close-up of the new growth. I have relatively new growth,

but
what I do have is beginning from the main stock of the bush, which has me
thinking I should have cut it back to the main structure.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/bbush3.jpg

And my question of the day is ... What should I do??? I read my books, and
the one that discussed the Buddleia davidii stated I should cut it back to
12 inches in the early spring. Being new at this, I am confused as to what
part to cut back; the branches, or the actual stocks.

Should I go and cut it back to the main stock now, or am I too late?

Should
I leave it as is, and it will grow properly? My worry is cutting it back

at
this stage of the growth.

Any help greatly appreciated, it is a beautiful butterfly bush, and from
this beginner gardener, one of the oldest plants in my garden.

"Polar" wrote in message

My Buddleia is blooming up a storm -- has grown very tall.

This is our first season together & I am not sure when/how much to
prune when it finishes blooming. The Western Garden Book is
no help in this regard.

Any advice welcome.

--

Zone 24/8