Old 22-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Geoff P

Default Chelsea

I went on Tuesday to Chelsea and the standard was quite variable. None of
the show gardens had that "wow" factor as some have had in previous years.
The queues were very long but we kept an eye on it and had only about five
minutes to wait to see the ones along the embankment. With all the others
you slowly make your way to the front when others have seen enough. There
was certainly a similarity of planting with olive trees and Cornus kousa
being very popular but this could have been due to the variable growing
conditions in the previous weeks, as some plants could have been frosted or
peaked too soon due to the early good weather.

On the other hand, the exhibitors in the floral marquees were of a very high
standard. Hopleys nurseries, Avon Bulbs, Carol Klein's stand, Jekka
McVicar's herbs, Hardy's cottage plants were all extremely good - to name
but a few. Most of the awards were justly deserved!

This is the 15th year running I have been to Chelsea which I thought was
better than last year, despite the lower standard of the show gardens. It is
the plants I go to see, not particularly peoples views on design (despite
studying garden design myself). I certainly seemed to spend longer there
this year - about 8 hours - it is just a pity that the RHS don't do
something about lack of seating, even benches in the Ranelagh gardens would
help.

Steph Power

"Jane Lumley" wrote in message
Anyone else been? I was there yesterday - Tuesday - and found the
flower pavilions wonderful, esp. Avon Bulbs, Bloms Bulbs, Peter Beales
roses, and Kelways - magnificent flowers on all. Some lovely veggies
too - red carrots!

However, the show gardens were pure dreck. Despite some nice planting,
IMHO there was still far too much impractical hard surfacing designed
solely to bring money to the designer. Who really wants an upright
block of steel in their garden, or a nice slab of concrete? Can anyone
tell me in simple words why designers are diligently building these
monstrosities?

I would be keen to hear others' views....
--
Jane Lumley