Old 22-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Pinot Grigio

Default Cottage Garden Plant Suggestions Wanted

More by accident than design, at the moment my garden looks really good, but
in a few weeks time, there will be very little flowering.
I have a major problem and that is DEER. We love having them in the garden
really and the plants that are growing at the moment the deer more or less
leave alone. The real garden problem is slugs.
Currently, I have aqualegia, foxgloves, (Michaelmas?) daisies,
forget-me-nots, osteospernum, iris (lemon stinky iris?).
Coming soon, dusty millers (white & dark pink), a type of cottage iris, and
a variety of poppies. Then almost nothing apart from the odd plant that has
survived the deer like japanese anemone, hollyhocks.
The only bedding plants I get are busy-lizzies as if I sort of hide them,
the deer don't eat all of them! The rest are a waste of money. If the deer
don't eat them, the slugs will, or the squirrels will dig them up!
What I really want, are more cottage garden type plants that will flower
July onwards and self-seed like most of the current plants do.
Any suggestions please? I don't like red colours much and definitely not
orange.