Old 22-05-2003, 04:56 PM
paghat

Default fake snake to scare away birds?

In article ,
(Doctoroe) wrote:

We saw a fairly realistic looking rubber snake the other day and
wondered if it were placed in a high visibility spot would it keep the
birdies from feasting on our just now ripening strawberries?
Anyone tried this? Kinda snake version of a scarecrow....

It might work a day or two on whichever birds are the dumbest in town.
About day three you'll have to hook the snake up to some sort of gizmo
that will make it wiggle as it move back & forth between the rows of
strawberries. That'll work for about four more days until the birds start
riding on it. But the trick is to keep the birds off-guard, & as soon as
they have adjusted to the trundling-wiggling snake, you stick a transister
radio in its mouth & tune into whichever station runs the most ads for
Monster Truck events. When a few days after that they adjust to the radio
ads, you add "ears" to the roving gibbering rubber snake & make the ears
out of sparklers or road flares. This should keep the snake up-to-date
enough to scare off birds for at least three, maybe five weeks all told,
at which time you switch to a big rubber iguana & start the process from
scratch.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: