Old 22-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Default fake snake to scare away birds?

"Doctoroe" wrote in message
m...
We saw a fairly realistic looking rubber snake the other day and
wondered if it were placed in a high visibility spot would it keep the
birdies from feasting on our just now ripening strawberries?
Anyone tried this? Kinda snake version of a scarecrow....

Birds will eventually get used to any device you use to scare them. What
worked best for me (but not forever) was aluminum pie plates, strung with
cord through their centers to they'd wave in the breeze and make strange
reflections. But, they're ugly, and the birds eventually said "Ha".

You need an actual mechanical barrier. Garden stores sell black plastic mesh
with 1" holes. It's designed for this purpose, and for providing a trellis
for some plants to climb. It tangles anytime you try to handle it, so the
thing to do is immediately attach at least two ends to sticks, so you can
roll it up and store it when you're done with it. Figure out a way to mount
it at least 6" above the berries, so birds can't use it as a perch, reach
in, and continue with dessert.

Or, you can do what I've done in the past: Get bulletproof and build a box
covered with chicken wire. Assemble the box using wing nuts, so you can take
it apart when the berries are done blooming. Do NOT use treated wood. It's
not safe around food plants and it's bad for your skin while cutting and
handling it. I made mine out of poplar 1x2 lumber, and it's lasted 5 years
so far. Make sure all sides are covered with chicken wire. Use plastic wire
bundling ties to attach it to the wood frame. They're easy to cut when it's
time to take down the box.