Old 22-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Vegetable seed costs

"Stuart wrote in message
Having taken on a small allotment (cost £8.50pa) I am horrified at seed
prices, not having grown vegetables for many years. Seeds could easily

cost
5 times the rent.

Oh easily, we spend more than that each year. Mind you with a rent as cheap
as that I would be over the moon.
Try £76 pa for 10 rods! (for broken/missing fences resulting in constant
vandalism.)

Just keep an eye open for bargains, Kings seeds seem cheaper but a bit
restrictive of choice. I've heard you get more seed in an Edwin Tuckers
packet but haven't compared them.
Personally it's more important to get good seed of a good variety rather
than worry about the price. No matter what you pay the crop is going to be
cheaper than buying it in the supermarket (and the cost of a Gym season
ticket). :-)

Mind you £2.99 for 6 seeds of Apache chilli is a bit steep.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.