Old 22-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Simon Avery

Default Petrol strimmer recommendations

"Jolltax" wrote:

Hello Jolltax

J Anyway I fancy upgrading to one of those cordless petrol
J strimmers getting excited now

Good start. Even the direst petrol strimmer, assuming it'll start, is
far better than any electric one ime.

J Are they actually much more convenient than an electric
J version with cable sigh. Has anyone got any
J recommendations on a particular manufacturer, reliability
J etc? Also, what should I be looking for in terms of
J features?
J I have a small / medium sized rear garden (30 x 30 ft) and
J smaller front (say 20 x 15) with fencing, shed, greenhouse,
J path and beds which I can't mow around closely (hence the
J strimmer!). I can't imagine I need anything heavy duty so a
J 'budget' model will suffice - the cheapest one I have
J seen is 79.99 at B&Q (a McCulloch Trim Mac - never heard of
J them!)
J Budget - I don't think I could justify more than £100 to
J Central Control (even if I wash up, walk the dog and
J everything else).

As for features, your overwhelming one appears to be price. Anything
150 or so is going to be budget range - which is fine, just don't
expect to be able to shop around for a wide range of features and add-
ons.

McCulloch is a very well known brand and most decidedly "cheap and
cheerful". I don't know this particular model (I made a decision some
years ago not to use anything less than 40cc) but I expect it'll do
what you want very well, and as you're coming from the electric market
you'll be very chuffed at how quick it is.

At this price range, suppliers are much of a muchness. None will offer
you a super servicing deal included with the price and all will have
the minimum guarantees required by law and nothing else. B&Q have a
fair reputation for replacement of faulty goods so they seem as good a
source as any.

Try to avoid "tap and go" strimmer heads if you have any choice. They
invariably break very quickly and replacements are difficult to find.

Buy an extra roll of string. With standards heads the string is all
interchangeable, though stick with the recommended thickness (1.5mm to
2.0mm for this one, I imagine. 3mm lasts much longer but needs a
bigger engine) Square or round, up to you. I like round but others
like square or twisted - none seems to have any huge advantage
regardless of hype.

Buy a 1 gallon fuel can, some 2-stroke oil (mix at 25-1 if in doubt,
that's guaranteed to work).

Buy eye protection and wear it!

Ear protection 'probably' isn't required with the smaller ones, but I
wear it for comfort levels.

Buy cheap boilersuit to wear over your clothes. (Wish someone had told
me that before I had to strim both sides of a mile-long public
footpath much favoured by dog owners)

Don't strim cow parsley or hogweed unless you're very well covered.
(The sap will cause burns and scarring to exposed skin)

Avoid strimming wild garlic unless you want to lose your friends.

Keep string level correct. Don't over-rev the engine, nor let it
struggle. Correct usage is to bring revs to peak JUST as you begin a
sweeping cut and let them fall before the end of the cut.

Always turn off engine when adjusting string.

Maintenance wise;

Wipe down shaft and gearing after use. Keep guards clear (some tend to
get clogged easily). Store in such a way that the shaft is not going
to bend. (lain flat, hung up, whatever - just not leant against the
side).

Clean air filter regularly. After 5-8 hours use is typical.

If angle head has a greasing point, grease every 20-30 hours use.

Come winter:

Drain all fuel and run engine until it stops. (2-stroke evapourates
leaving an oily gummy residue)

Remove and clean spark plug. Add a tiny amount of 2/stroke or engine
oil into the pot. Pull starter cord slightly to move pot and replace
plug. This prevents the piston from rusting into place

Remove cutter head and pack gearing with grease. Replace head.

Finally, a general clean of all surfaces with a damp rag, or petrol
soaked rag if you're brave, lazy and don't smoke.