Old 22-05-2003, 07:32 PM
James Bass

Default tomatoes-on-the-vine (what kind?)

Thanks for the info Doug, I'll do that.

James

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
. net...
James, I live in Rochester, and the Democrat & Chronicle ran a story last
year about a greenhouse operation somewhere south of here (near

Letchworth,
if I recall) which supplies fresh tomatoes to Wegman's. Call Wegman's and

if
they can't tell you the name of the variety, ask for the name of the
supplier and call them.

What you're seeing is not a vine, by the way. It's a normal branch piece
like you'll see on any tomato plant. The "on the vine" label is simply to
imply freshness. In the case of those tomatoes, it's actually true.

They're
delicious.

The on-the-vine tomato is clearly NOT one of the low-acid hybrids, nor is

it
one which was bred for size, obviously. The closest thing I've grown in

the
garden has been an old variety called Rutgers. I've never seen it sold as

plant locally. You have to grow it from seed. Burpee carries it:

http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...91&itemType=PR
ODUCT&RS=1&keyword=rutgers

I found the seeds at Chase Pitkin once, but seed displays tend toward the
newest wowee names when it comes to tomatoes. I'm not sure if Harris has

it,
but I have disappointing results from their seeds anyway.

Rutgers has little or no disease resistance, so don't make it the only
tomato in your garden, in case we have a season where all the conditions

are
right for fungus and other horrors. But, Rutgers is still available, which
speaks volumes about its quality. The taste is amazing.