Old 22-05-2003, 08:32 PM
The Filers

Default Seeding backyard with grass seed

Recently we levelled the earth in an area of our backyard that has a lot of
direct exposure to sunlight. In the process, most of the existing grass was
lost. The next day I spread grass seed on the ground which was very wet
because of rain the previous night. Then each morning I have watered the
area well. Some people tell me that I need to cover the grass seed with
topsoil otherwise they say the seeds won't grow...other people tell me that
this is the wrong approach and that the best thing to is to keep the seeds
exposed, but well watered each morning...I live in southern Ontario and the
temperature is around 16 C / 65 F daily, with close to 15 hours of daylight.

I'd appreciate advice from other people who have successfully reseeded large
patches of their lawns...should I spread topsoil or not?...if so, what kind
and how deep?...should I be watering the area every morning?

Thanks,
M.