Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Ian

Default What is growing with my Spirea?

"Ann" wrote in message
"Ian" expounded:

Okay, this plant was growing right with my Spirea. Pulled it out and

moved
it, keeping it separate for now until I see what it is.

Anyone have a guess at this?

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/spireawhat1.jpg

It looks like one of the Erodiums, which is weedy as hell for me
around here. It's a relative of the wild geraniums, which is why it
resembles them.

Good chance it is Erodium. My speciman is still too young to see the full
leaf definition, but it does have the general leaf structure, and has the
hairy stems (notice how much of a newbie I am!)

Have also noticed more of it growing alongside the Spirea. The roots of

this
plant were long and totally intertwined with the Spirea's.

See above G

While I'm at this guessing game, can someone make a guess on these 2
unknowns:

The following is where I planted a fan fern last year. Only other thing

that
was once there were some tulips.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat1.jpg

Sould be Solomon Seal, but it loks more like Smilacina racemosa, False
Solomon Seal. Need to see the flowers to be sure.

I think this is a good possibility, will have to see when or if this
flowers.

And these 2 long leaves are also where some tulips were planted a few

years
ago, but I thought I had gotten all the bulbs.

http://www.quickmire.com/temp/plantwhat2.jpg

Those could be spent tulip bulbs, they'll send up leaves for years
without flowers, although they're usually big, fat leaves.

Always curious to know what it is that likes my garden seeing 1/3 of what

purposely plant doesn't! grin

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA